This should have come out last week if not for Blogger’s two-day hiatus.
Took a long road trip this weekend. Started to grade music on a new scale. The road trip scale.
I was surprised by how many of my favorite albums are not the most enjoyable to listen to while I’m driving a car. Actually, I found myself skipping rapidly through them to get the songs I wanted to hear while avoiding the songs that were quickly putting me to sleep. And this isn’t a knock at mellow albums, I still found the melodic pace of the xx and Bon Iver to be quite entertaining. The Cure’s Wish was outstanding. But while listening to a lot of my favorite albums, I found very little about them that I actually liked. I struggled through DM’s Some Great Reward, DCFC’s Narrow Stairs, and The Killers Hot Fuss. Oddly, I made it through Brandon Flowers solo album without skipping once.
Maybe some albums are just made with a different pace in mind. Or maybe my frame of mind was in a different place. Machester Orchestra’s new album kept pace with me on my two-day fourteen hour trip…so they must be doing something right.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By Manchester Orchestra:
1. Wolves at Night (I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child)
2. Shake It Out (Mean Everything To Nothing)
3. In My Teeth (Mean Everything To Nothing)
4. Alice and Interiors (I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child)
5. The Only One (Mean Everything To Nothing)
6. Where Have You Been? (I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child)
7. Everything To Nothing (Mean Everything To Nothing)
8. Anne Louise (Fourteen Years of Excellence)
9. This Neighborhood Is Bleeding (I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child)
10. Sleeper 1972 (I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child)
11. I Was A Lid (Let My Pride Be What’s Left Behind)
Buy Manchester Orchestra’s new album, Simple Math, now!!