When MGMT burst onto the scene a few years ago, it was like a meteor filled with chocolate covered cherries exploded in our ears. The album was all over the map from sugary synthy dance mania to psychedelic-laced head trips. It was chaotic sound storm but it was beautiful at that same time. Though their sophomore album toned down the frequency it still managed to deliver a worthwhile effort. But now it’s time for album three and the early word is not good. I know MGMT sounds like they’re trying to be the next Flaming Lips…but they should really be following in the footsteps of The Offspring. See, the Offspring was originally a straight up punk band in the style of Bad Religion. Though they had some hardcore fans, they were not appeasing a bigger fan base. They started adding one or two goofy radio songs per album for the pop radio fans while on the rest of the album they stuck to their typical aggressive rock. Twenty years later, they’re still trucking. It was a compromise. Do a couple songs or the labels and radio, and in return, you get to have a career making music you love. Not a bad trade-off. MGMT should have a 1-2 Kids-like songs per album. It’s what the fans want. Learn from Dexter Holland, he’s a very smart guy. He may sing for a punk rock band…but he also has a doctorate in microbiology. True story!
Here are the 11 Best Songs By MGMT:
- Kids (Oracular Spectacular)
- Electric Feel (Oracular Spectacular)
- Time To Pretend (Oracular Spectacular)
- Flash Delirium (Congratulations)
- Weekend Wars (Oracular Spectacular)
- Song For Dan Treacy (Congratulations)
- Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters (Oracular Spectacular)
- Brian Eno (Congratulations)
- Indie Rokkers (Time To Pretend EP)
- Love Always Remains (Time To Pretend EP)
- Metanoia (Metanoia)
Buy MGMT’s new album, MGMT…now!!