This weekend I took the long drive up the California 5. A dreary drive that was immensely improved by two unhappy children in the backseat who made it their obligation to inform us of their unhappiness every 5 seconds in case we had already forgotten. One of them even used the kid-version of backseat wolf-crying by alerting us to a coming waterfall of vomit…causing us to pull over to a 7-11…only to find out it was a false alarm and more like a false warning as our child then somehow convinced us only a Slurpee would quiet their complaints. It worked but only for about 15 minutes. But after 4 hours of screaming…that 15 minutes was gold. We made this 14-hour trip all for the 2-hour reunion of old friends, which was cut short because everyone had to get home to their babysitters.
This week sees not one but two big reunion releases. (Also see: Gang of Four – Content) But the Get-Up Kids was one just waiting to happen. They never seemed really happy being on their own. It’s only been 7 years since their last proper release…but it’s a welcome return.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By The Get-Up Kids:
1. Mass Pike (Red Letter Day)
2. Overdue (On A Wire)
3. Is There A Way Out (Guilt Show)
4. Out Of Reach (Something To Write Home About)
5. Action and Action (Something To Write Home About)
6. Walking On A Wire (On A Wire)
7. Shorty (Four Minute Mile)
8. Dark Night of the Soul (Guilt Show)
9. Holiday (Something To Write Home About)
10. Let The Reigns Go Loose (On A Wire)
11. Up On the Roof (Eudora)
Buy the new album by The Get-Up Kids – There Are Rules….now!! (only $3.99 for a limited time)