Recently, the Roots got in trouble for playing Fishbone’s “Lying Ass Bitch” as the entrance song for Michelle Bachman when she appeared on the Jimmy Fallon show. Was is it a dick move? Sure. Did she deserve it? Probably not. Was it kinda funny? Fortunately so.
Politicians have no sense of humor. Musicians have no sense of politics. Musicians are successful at what they do because they say what they feel without fear of repercussions or that they’re polling numbers will dip. They say whatever is on their minds no matter who it will offend or hurt. They have outspoken opinions and utilize their vocal prowess to announce them to the world. This is one of the reasons we fall in love with the music. There’s something honest about musicians and songs that connects to us on a personal level. Politicians have no sense of truth. They run a campaign to get elected…they don’t run on their identity. They tell you what they think we want to hear. Instead, they don’t realize that we’d rather just hear who they are and not the fabricated person they present. This is why 20 years down the road, the Roots can make a political statement as much and still remain relevant while Bachman will wilt into obscurity.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By The Roots of the 90s:
1. What You Want (The Roots Come Alive)
2. I Remain Calm (Do You Want More)
3. The Next Movement (Things Fall Apart)
4. You Got Me (Things Fall Apart)
5. Mellow My Man (Do You Want More)
6. Adrenaline (Things Fall Apart)
7. The Session (Organix)
8. What They Do (Illadelph Halflife)
9. Respond/React (Illadelph Halflife)
10. Do You Want More?!!!??! (Do You Want More)
11. Dynamite! (Things Fall Apart)
Buy the Roots new album, undun…now!!! (only $3.99 for a limited time)