Sting once said that bands only have 5 good albums in them. They may put out other albums and have decent songs here and there, but they will never have more than 5 great albums. For the most part this is true. Although most bands don’t have more than 1 good album in them. His theory is that all bands, no matter how long their career is, can have their catalog weened down to 5 core albums. Even the Beatles, have The White album, Sgt. Pepper’s, Abby Road, Rubber Soul, and Revolver. Yeah sure, Let It Be is great too…but if it was great as the others…why do they keep releasing alternative versions of it? As if we weren’t happy with the original version…we have to have a naked version and a remix auto-tuned version?
The Streets have sworn they were only releasing 5 albums during their career. This newest album has been announced as the final chapter of the band. And right after they announced that, they announced their 6th album, Cyberspace and Reds, which is a free download. Even as a fan of the band, I wouldn’t consider everything they’ve done as great. But it’s nice to have a tight little package, that spans a very unique career.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By the Streets:
1. Dry Your Eyes (A Grand Don’t Come For Free)
2. Blinded By The Lights (A Grand Don’t Come For Free)
3. It’s Too Late (Original Pirate Material)
4. The Escapist (Everything Is Borrowed)
5. Never Went To Church (The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living)
6. Has It Come To This? (Original Pirate Material)
7. Fit But You Know It (A Grand Don’t Come For Free)
8. Could Well Be In (A Grand Don’t Come For Free)
9. Everything Is Borrowed (Everything Is Borrowed)
10. Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living (The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living)
11. Pranging Out (The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living)
Buy the Streets new album, Computer and Blues…now!!