Have the 90s finally died? Or just waiting to be re-incarnated?
This year has become the year of the solo album. But most of these solo albums are alum from bands who blasted onto the music scene in the 90s. Incubus, Live, Sleater-Kinney, Outkast, Radiohead, and the Wallflowers were all big names in the 90s. They were the trendsetters in the 90s. Now, outside of Radiohead, they have become irrelevent to the current mainstream output and remain merely classic influences to today’s crop of youngsters. Therefore, members of these bands have had to go out and re-invent themselves to become relevent again. Although, the first couple of 90s artists to try the solo thing were Stephen Malkmus and Chris Cornell. Both guys spent this past summer on sold-out reunion tours with their original bands.
So, maybe this whole solo thing is just some big ploy to get audiences pining for the old stuff…the classic stuff. In this business, in this age…whatever works.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By Travis of the 00s:
1. Side (The Invisible Band)
2. Quite Free (Ode To J. Smith)
3. Big Chair (The Boy With No Name)
4. Sing (The Invisible Band)
5. My Eyes (The Boy With No Name)
6. Quicksand (12 Memories)
7. Sailing Away (The Boy With No Name)
8. Pulling Mussels (Selfish Jean Single)
9. Re-Offender (12 Memories)
10. Long Way Down (Ode To J. Smith)
11. Flowers in the Window (The Invisible Band)
Buy Fran Healy’s new solo album, Wreckorder, now!