Twenty years have passed since the death of Kurt Cobain. That’s four times longer than the ever brief career of Nirvana. In that period of time, Kurt Cobain’s legend has grown. His antics have been intensified. His creative vision has become iconic. As they say, Immortality is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. In 1991, Nirvana was the right band at the right time.
As legendary as Cobain has become in the lore of rock n roll, there remains a strong resistance against him and the quality of his music. He’s been called overrated, generic, and untalented. I don’t think any other artist out there who is loved and admired by millions is as hated as much as Cobain is. The question I always wonder…is why?
It’s one thing to not like the music of Nirvana. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Music is a personal journey and everyone’s journey takes them somewhere different. What I don’t understand is how many people will flat out deny that Nirvana is influential, groundbreaking or an important part of rock history. I think most people’s adversity to Cobain is because everything about him was the complete opposite of what a rock star should be. He dressed like he was broke. He sang out of tune. His lyrics were abstract. He championed Boston and Black Flag in the same breath. He did all the wrong things to become a rock star, yet, he became the biggest of his generation. He refused to conform and by being an individual, he rose above the masses.
To those who stand in the way individualism, who scream that the path most traveled is the path to success, that conformity is comfort, they will never understand why Cobain belongs next to John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. But because they don’t understand is the reason they will never have the power to decide.
Below is a list of some songs you may not know featuring Kurt’s presence. But Kurt’s influence is heard everywhere. From Green Day and Tori Amos to The White Stripes and Weezer to of all people, Miley Cyrus. Whether we like it or not, Cobain shaped our world and his spirit lives on in all of us.
Here are 11 Unknown Kurt Cobain Tracks:
- Down in the Dark – Backing Vocals & Guitar (Mark Lanegan – The Winding Sheet)
- Where Did You Sleep Last Night – Guitar (Mark Lanegan – The Winding Sheet)
- Bikini Twilight – Guitar (Go Team – Scratch It Out)
- A Bureaucratic Desire For Revenge Part 2 – Guitar (Earth – Extra Capsular Extraction)
- Divine And Bright – Vocals & Guitar (Earth – Extra Capsular Extraction)
- Sky Pup – Guitar & Co-Producer (Melvins – Houdini)
- Hooch – Drums & Co-Producer (Melvins – Houdini)
- Spread Eagle Beagle – Drums & Co- Producer (Melvins – Houdini)
- The Priest They Called Him – Guitar (William S Burroughs – The Priest They Called Him)
- Asking For It – Backing Vocals (Hole – Live Through This)
- Softer, Softest – Backing Vocals (Hole – Live Through This)
Buy Nirvana Music…now!!!