Record Store Day did everything right by just doing everything right. If you haven’t heard yet, the 2011 Record Store Day was the most successful yet. With over 200 exclusive vinyl releases, it did something that no one in the music industry thought was possible: it got people to buy music. It didn’t try to sell people what they wanted us to buy…they sold us stuff what we wanted to buy. Rock Music. The number one singles and albums were rock bands…not pop. That should be a sign…we’ll see if anyone listens.
With all the great releases, I thought I would break down some of the unique ones, since I’ve had the chance to hear a lot of them. I’ve stayed away from the re-issues…since they’re already out in some form. I wanted to highlight those releases that truly made RSD an event.
1. Foo Fighters – Medium Rare
2. Deftones – Covers
– though most of the tracks are previously released, putting them together in an official package is an extreme delight. Both bands are notorious for their unique covers and to release this is a real exclusive.
3. Jimi Hendrix – Fire/Touch You
4. Velvet Underground – Foggy Notion
5. Derek & Dominoes – Got to Get Better
5. Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar
– Four of the most elite rock stars of all time…release “unreleased” material. It’s too good to be true. And the new songs are all surprisinlgy good…and not throwaway tracks.
6. Decemberists – Live At Bull Moose
– an exclusive live comp featuring songs from the new album live. Not just a couple songs…but a full solid set.
(okay…to be fair…none of these are truly bad…most are cool. a better title might, I was just hoping for more.)
1. Death Cab For Cutie – In Living Stereo
2. Bruce Springsteen – Gotta Get That Feeling/Racing in the street
– both seem like exclusives…but their just songs that are just previews of upcoming releases.
3. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – Class Mythology
– in all fairness…the songs are decent. but they’re each about 2:00 long. all four songs clock in at less than 10 minutes. For $17, I expected more…considering it cost me more than the Foos full length vinyl.
4. Rise Against – Join The Ranks
– cool picture…but pricey for songs we’ve already heard.
5. Panda Bear – Tomboy (t-shirt bundle)
– it’s record day…not t-shirt day! okay…just including this to bring it to 5 discs.
1. White Flag 7″ – Future Crimes
– A preview of the Sleater Kinney-Mary Tomony supergroup. theyre off to a great start
2. Guided By Vioces – Sing For Your Meat
– An expanded vinyl with 5 extra songs over the CD -when does that happen? And it’s one of those rare “good” tribute albums
3. Regina Spektor – Four From Far
– 3 solid b-sides…and an exteremely cool live track. the Live version of EET is one of the best vinyl songs I picked up all day. a song this good is the reason we buy vinyl.
4. Antony and the Johnsons – Swanlights EP
5. Flying Lotus – Cosmogramma Al Takes
6. Fucked Up – Town Comp
7. Black Angels – Phosgene Nightmare
– for fans only…but fans won’t be disappointed by entire collections of unreleased material.
8. kode9 – Otherman
– nevermind that there were only 100 made. it’s one of the elite dubstep gurus putting out some of his best material to date.
Now…here’s youre turn: What did you get? What did you like, love, hate?