If my poll tells me anything, it’s that most of you out there still don’t know anything about Record Store Day…or you just don’t care about records. That’s okay. But if you love music…you should know a little something about vinyl. See, vinyl is an exact physical representation of the sound wave. Currently, there isn’t any other replay device out there that can match the pure sound that a vinyl record can emit. If you want to hear a song exactly how it was intended…vinyl is the way to go. Once a year (technically twice) the music companies release extremely limited albums only on vinyl. Not just a handful. This year, it’s somewhere around 250 releases. Everyone participates. From David Bowie, Pink Floyd, and the Grateful Dead to The Cure, R.E.M., and Soundgarden, all the way to The xx, Grizzly Bear, and Iron & Wine. Some of the records are remasters, some are re-issues, some are live, some are demos, some are green, some are splattered, some are clear, some are filled with liquid, some are new recordings, some are old, some have never been released….ever. And it’s the only time of the year that thousands of people line-up all over the globe (yes, it’s international, too) to buy physical music. Something worth getting excited about.
Here are the 11 Best Songs by Iron & Wine:
- Jezebel (Woman King)
- Trapeze Singer (In Good Company)
- Rabbit Will Run (Kiss Each Other Clean)
- Cinder And Smoke (Our Endless Numbered Days)
- Woman King (Woman King)
- Boy With A Coin (Shepard’s Dog)
- White Tooth Man (Shepard’s Dog)
- Upwards Over The Mountain (The Creek Drank The Cradle)
- Swans and the Swimming (Our Endless Numbered Days)
- Resurrection Fern (Shepard’s Dog)
- Arms of A Thief (Around The Well)
Buy Iron & Wine’s new album, Ghost On Ghost now!