The last official album to come out from The Flaming Lips was 2009’s Embryonic. A rich tapestry of psychedelic melodies that motivate the listener of a powerful cosmic propulsion. In the four years since, they have been anything but sleeping on the job. In that time, they have released 9 EPs. Some of these EPs were distributed normally, some were released in a human skull or in a fetus made out of gummy candy…yes, really. Along with the 9 EPs, they released a Pink Floyd cover album, a duets album, and an album of romantic songs inside a chocolate heart. Besides distribution, song lengths wildly varied, from songs that are normal 3-4 minutes long to one that tops 6 hours…and one that takes a full 24 hours to listen to because…yes, it’s 24 hours long. The following list are the best songs of this chaotic yet creatively productive period.
Here are the 11 Best Flaming Lips Songs (Post-Embryonic):
- Is David Bowie Dying (With Neon Indian)
- Speak To Me / Breathe (Dark Side of the Moon)
- Drug Chart (Gummy Song Skull)
- Helping the Retarded To Find God (The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends)
- Eclipse (Dark Side of the Moon)
- Heavy Star Moving… (With Prefuse 73)
- I’m Working At NASA on Acid (With Lightning Bolt)
- Atlas Eets Christmas (With Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band)
- Evil Minds (StroboTrip)
- Children of the Moon (The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends)
- 7 Skies H3 (24 Hour Song Skull)
Buy The Flaming Lips’ The Terror…now!!